Use la pestaña en la parte superior de la extrema derecha para traducir a hispano.
March and April Tour Reservations
We are looking forward to hosting you! Tours should be made 48 hours in advance. The average tour will last up to 1.5 hours. It is very important that our guests arrive on time. Please report to the Beresheim House, just south of the Dodge House. Please call 712-322-2406 with any questions or for groups over 6 in number. Thank you.
Register for your tour using the following link(s):
Our Dear Guests,
We are excited that you are considering visiting the Historic General Dodge House. It is one of the most best-preserved Historic Homes in the United States and is overflowing with fine antiques (many of them original to the family).
Tour hours are 10am to 5pm, Tuesday-Saturday. Last admission to the home is at 4pm.
The Historic General Dodge House has limited handicap accessibility. If you are physically handicapped please call in advance so we can make accommodations for you.
Here is what to expect upon your arrival:
Your tour will begin by checking in at the Beresheim House. It is the large home just south of the Historic General Dodge House.
- Upon entering if you do not have a mask of your own, we will gladly provide you with one. Masks are required at all times. Thank you.
- We will ask that you apply hand sanitizer.
- We will take your temperature with a no-contact thermometer
- You will be provided with a brand-new pen (which you are welcome to keep) to sign in. The record of your visit helps us with grant writing. We also need you to provide us with your phone number. Your phone number will only be used in the event that contact tracing is required.
- As a rule, we will keep groups separate. If we wish to join two groups together for a tour you are very welcome to decline. (Your peace of mind is important to us). We will also stagger tours. Please follow the directions of our docents. Thank you.
- Once inside the home you have three ways to enjoy the Historic General Dodge House:
- You can self-tour with a paper guide. (You will be the first person ever to have touched it.) Please take this guide with you when you leave.
- You may have a docent guide you through the home. Guests who really love history enjoy this the most.
- You may use one of our audio guides. These are very detailed. Our audio guides will be sanitized after each use.
- After your tour, you may return to your car or to the Beresheim House to shop.
During your visit, don’t hesitate to ask questions. You are our guests and we want you to enjoy yourself!
Feel free to call the Dodge House ahead of time at 712-322-2406 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions or need special accommodation.
We look forward to your visit.
For the most recent updates, to include changes to museum hours, visit our Facebook page. Our regular hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, with the last tour taken at 4:00 pm. The museum is closed on Sundays, Mondays, all of January and on most holidays. The Historic General Dodge House follows the Council Bluffs School District for school closings and weekend activities in the event of bad weather. It is always a good idea to call ahead to make sure we are open. Our number is (712) 322-2406. We do rent out the Dodge House for private functions and host several special events throughout the year. During these events, part or all of this historic-house museum may be closed to the public.
The Historic General Dodge House
In the fall of 1961, the home of General Grenville M. Dodge was designated a National Historic Landmark. This special honor was bestowed upon the home of General GM Dodge, not because of the house itself, but rather because of the man who lived in it. To achieve this designation the site must have local, state, and national significance. The General’s home was not only the first National Historic Landmark in Council Bluffs, but it is the only registered National Historic Landmark in the city. Currently there are 26 National Historic Landmarks in Iowa; the Historic General Dodge House has the distinction of being the second site in the state of Iowa to receive this honor.
2021 Board of Trustees
The Dodge House Board oversees all functions of this house-museum. They set policy and work with city and state entities. The current members on the Board of Trustees are President; Kathy Rieger, Vice President; Rob Dittmer, Austin Diehm, Daniel Van Houten, Chuck Hansen, Jeff Hutcheson, Laura Dodge Luther, Theresa Martin Brandon Garrett, Jan Ehrens and Cindy Buckmaster
We ask you to please respect the General’s home. Please NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY inside the Historic General Dodge House. Pictures are allowed, but we ask that you are respectful of other guests. Postcards are available for purchase in our gift shop.
*The Historic General Dodge House is handicap accessible on the main floor.
Please call ahead so we can better assist you.